Wednesday, October 04, 2006

S3 E1 "A Tale of Two Cities"


Can I just say that I that Elizabeth Mitchell(Juliette) is a fantastic addition to the show this year? She has't yet captured the grace that Michael Emerson (Ben/Henry Gale) has with Henry... but her character is a definite bonus in the Lost World.

I am curently in college, and I had the opportunity to watch the season premiere with about 20-30 other college students in the conference room of our dorm. Being in that large of a group I have the distinct pleasure of hearing what really is liked and not liked by the audience in any given episode. Because of this, my statements might be slightly biased in the regard that I'll mention moments were the audience I was with were especially surprised.

With that said...I agree with others when they said the first five minutes were an excellent "shock" moment for the audience. My immediate reactions to seeing the civilization were 1) Why are they there, 2) How are they so civilized, and 3) Why are they reading Stephen King (okay so this last one might not be as important, but books seem to matter on Lost).

The story line with Jack, at least for me, was rather predictable. Whenever we think we figure something out right away on last... it means that we haven't figured anything out. Hence why Christian Shepard dating Sarah was just not plausible.


One question that keeps running back to me is whether or not Ben and Juliette planned the flood before hand. If they knew so much about Jack then they must have known he wouldn't have given up so easily. Hence also they used the ploy of Ben locking both of them inside to drown so Juliette would gain Jack's trust better. It was also confirmed through the last conversation of the episode.

The side stories with kate and sawyer were both creepy and amusing and it appears that skate might be happening before jate does. The onyl way I can see kate choosing jack is if he decides to stay with the others and therefore she has like a one-night stand with him before she goes back to the fuselage camp.

All in all, the episode was a decent one though and definetely moved the story along. I'll be looking forward to the next few weeks and seeing how they bring this arch back into focus.


Finally. to conclude about my feelings I'll end with my weekly five questions of- Was it just me or:

-Was Ben/Henry especially creepy in tonite's episode?

-Do you think Carl was part of the tail section?

-Do you think that the others are a part of the "Utopian Society" mentioned on the Dharma Iniative video (See S2 E3)

-Are you really confused how the others got all that information about the survivors... but not only that but how quick they were able to get specific info (such as Jack's father's death).

-Did Tom say he was gay?


Let me know how you feel in the comments. I'd love to get feedback and questions and comments... so fire away!




5 Comments:

Blogger Amused2bHere said...

1. Fenry (I mean Ben) was especially creepy, mainly because he was in charge, and not the whiny weasal we are used to seeing.
2. Carl is an other, a plant used to get info from Sawyer, gain his trust, and failing that, to teach him what happens to those who try to escape.
3. Utopian Society? I don't know, I think they were either abandoned or the experiments are multigenerational in nature and it ain't over yet.
4. Google, obviously.
5. He didn't say he was homosexual. He said she wasn't his type. Could mean he prefers blondes, chubbies, or youngsters. Or males. Or he's married and faithful. But no conclusions yet.

Oh yeah...First?

11:04 PM  
Blogger Amused2bHere said...

Yes! First!

11:05 PM  
Blogger engineer27 said...

Way to go, tapdawg! Nice "blawg."

Regarding #4, they have had 65 days to round up all the info on Jack -- 62 if you allow for 3 days until Ethan fed his list back to Benry.

Re #1, I still think the episode where he says "If I were one of Them, I would ..." takes the creepy cake.

6:12 AM  
Blogger Dennis said...

Was Ben/Henry especially creepy in tonite's episode?

Yes, but he is always creepy.

Do you think Carl was part of the tail section?

I think he is a plant. You think Saywer would remember when he was tricked by AL.

Do you think that the others are a part of the "Utopian Society" mentioned on the Dharma Iniative video (See S2 E3)

Yes. But things are not "Utopian" based on the active hostility at the book club, and the passive hostility between Ben and Juliette.

Are you really confused how the others got all that information about the survivors... but not only that but how quick they were able to get specific info (such as Jack's father's death).

A. They got it from the Hanso Foundation. We all know how powerful they are.

B. They got it from Kate (after breakfast. That's why she was so uneasy when she saw sayer. She probably gave info on him too.

C. The bandage was from truth serum, and he doesn't remember.

Did Tom say he was gay?

Either gay, or he doesn't like murderers who are 3 feet shorter than him.

8:36 AM  
Blogger GhettoGumby said...

As far as how they got specific info on Jack's father's death....

Did she really give any specifics? I thought she just said.... here is you dad's autopsy report etc. She knew he was dead (Jack told her), but as far as knowing any information that she couldnt have known without an actual file on Jack is still debateable. I think they are just going on the info the gathered from kate and their spies in the camps.

12:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home